Sunday, October 25, 2009

More Than A One Night Stand...

I'm very excited to announce that I met someone last night! It all began when I walked into Hill Country. After some confusion about how to order (think of a bbq deli), I walked up to one of the counters and began to survey my prospects. At first I was coy, choosing a small helping each of some slaw, mac and cheese, corn bread, and sweet potato mash. I walked over to the meat counter and ordered brisket and pork spare ribs. I had yet to realize the consequences of my seemingly innocent choices. The four sides proved to be more decadent than my expectations. I could have settled with any of them and been happy. We could have had a nice little life; each had a little twist to its taste profile which could have led to a fun happily ever after: The slaw, a hint of pepper; the mac and cheese, a flavor reminscent of truffle; the corn bread, accompanied by an ancho honey butter; the sweet potato mash, smooth and silky. Yet there was something missing.
And then.............


I carefully opened the butcher paper that held my meat choices. And there it was: the pork spare ribs - The One<3. Pork Spare Rib was hanging out with some pieces of brisket, seemingly unaware of his beauty. I didn't want him to think I was too available, so I started with the brisket. Brisket was like the sides, tasty but not quite worthy of upheaving my life. However, I knew the pork spare ribs were special just by their appearance. I took my first bite and I knew I would never be the same. The flavors were complex: a bit smokey yet sweet. I cherished every second I had until he was gone. In a few minutes, there were only bones and pieces too fatty to eat. At first I was sad. Should I order more? I was so full and slightly elated. Our love may have been fleeting, but I was happy to have had the experience. After all, it is better to have ingested and lost than to never have ingested at all.

And I totally know that I can go back and get another piece. He's a little slutty.



Hill Country
30 W 26th St (btwn 6th and Broadway)
New York, NY‎

No comments:

Post a Comment