Tuesday, October 20, 2009

East Village Pork Bun War. Should Momofuku raise it's white flag?



Spotted: Delicious Asian treats on 4th Ave. Has Momofuku retained it's steamed bun status, or has Ippudo stolen the limelight? xo xo.

As everyone should know, pork buns are 2009's cupcakes. Until recently, I was an avid Momofuku lover, carefully allotting biweekly time-slots to treasure pork steamed buns. Oh how naive! I must admit, I was a victim of a culinary fad. The Momofuku Empire that reigns the East Village had held my palate prisoner!

Alas, a coup d'etat! Ippudo struck a blow with their spongy buns and pork covered in a sauce/mayo connection of glory. And, could it be?! Yes, I think so - IPPUDO'S BUNS ARE LARGER. Momofuku remember the glorious words of the beloved Sir Mix-A-Lot, "my anaconda don't want none if you ain't got buns, hun". In the battle of trendy noodle bars, Ippudo may have won me over with their buns (and delectable ramen - more on that later). Perhaps my days of waiting on line at the Milk Bar at awkward hours of the day are over..... unless I want a shiitake bun or an egg and pork bun, then I <3 you, Momofuku. My pork bun love triangle has begun.

Ippudo
65 4 Ave (btwn 9th and 10th streets)
New York, NY 10003


Momofuku Noodle Bar
171 1 Ave (10th and 11th)
New York, NY‎

Momofuku Milk Bar / Momofuku Ssam Bar
207 2 Ave (and 13th)
New York, NY‎



No comments:

Post a Comment