Tuesday, May 15, 2012

It's not easy being green... with envy towards those eating at Red Farm right now

I've mentioned before that I like to exploit my boyfriend's celebrations into dinners for myself. Now, I don't want to sound callous -- I convince him that the restaurant of choice was entirely his idea. For his 25th birthday, we (me) decided to combine our love for Asian cuisine and small, trendy atmospheres. But where to? Hadn't our favorite restaurant closed years ago? There's a saying that "time heals all wounds", but there will forever be a lacking in my palate and heart.



Until Now. Until Red Farm. I'm not saying Red Farm will replace Kampuchea, but I know our love affair will last. Though Kampuchea was short lived and passionate, my now heart-broken palate is more wise and aware of those it now falls for.



Anyway, despite the almost hour long wait, Red Farm was still a wonderful experience. We decided to share plates, as if Chris had a choice. We started with spicy crispy beef, duck and fuji apple wrap, shrimp and snow pea leaf dumplings, and pan fried pork buns. Yes, yes, four appetizers seems like a lot of food for two people. This is supposed to be a judgement free zone, reader.  Anyway, my favorite of the bunch was the spicy crispy beef - it sounds like it would be mundane, but I assure you it is a dish worth trying. Those crispy little suckers are amazing. Chris' favorite (and my second favorite) was the shrimp snow pea leaf dumlpings. While they were delicious, I thought their appearance was a little disturbing since the dumplings were made to look like they had eyes. Our main courses were purely delicious. I had the crispy skin chicken with garlic sauce, which tasted like pure gold. A little party in my mouth. I may or may not have found my new love. All I know is that I cannot wait to return.

It's not just me, right?

The dumplings KNOW I want to eat them.
Red Farm
29 Hudson Street
(btwn Charles and W 10th)
http://redfarmnyc.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment